Find Beautiful Places
Many people miss out on seeing some of the most remote and beautiful places in our countryside and forests, because they can’t navigate and are frightened to wander off the beaten track in case they get lost.
Being able to use a map and compass to navigate does not mean that your head is stuck in the map, quite the opposite.
Map And Compass
During this two day course, you will join our Mountain Leader instructors in the beautiful mountains of South Wales, where you will develop your navigation skills.
At the end of this course you will know how to navigate with a map and compass. You will learn map scales, grid references, map orientation, how to use a compass, pace counting, attack points, aiming off and bearings. Don’t know what any of this means? Then come on this course and find out.
During the course you will learn:
- How to interpret the map in the landscape
- Understand the different scales and how to use them
- Understand the different signs and their meanings
- Grid references
- Setting the map to the ground
- Orientating the map with your eyes and your compass
- Orientating the map to landscape features
- Choosing a compass
- Taking and walking on a bearing
- How to use your compass accurately
- Using attack points
- Aiming off
- Understanding and using collecting features
- And more…
The course is run entirely outside in the hills of South Wales.
Each day will run 9.00am to 5.00pm. Accommodation is not provided on this course, you will be expected to find your own.
Telephone 07527 265 330 or Email email@example.com
Please select a course date from the list below
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking a course
|Course size||16 participants maximum|
|Course times||10.00am Saturday to 4.00 pm Sunday|
|Suitability||14 years and above. Individuals under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a paying adult.|
|Location||Brecon Beacons, South Wales|